KILBURN FLASH DRYERS are designed and manufactured by KILBURN ENGINEERING LIMITED, under licence from MIS. NARA MACHINERY CO. LTD., Japan who are world leaders in drying technology using suspended particle drying techniques where surface moisture is rapidly removed by dispersing particulate solids in a heated stream of gas/air.
“KILBURN, in more than 39 YEARS, has DESIGNED, MANUFACTURED, SUPPLIED & INSTALLED more than 30 CUSTOMIZED FLASH DRYER SYSTEMS for various APPLICATIONS”
The very word FLASH means instantaneous or rapid drying of products.
There are five primary factors which govern the speed of drying. These are :
A. Moisture Dispersion
This is defined as the accessibility of the moist surface to the drying medium (Hot air or gas). This is achieved in a flash dryer by use of a product disperser such as mechanical scatterer, double paddle feeder or cage mill etc. by mixing dried product in the feed.
B. Temperature Differential
In flash drying it is possible to use high initial temperatures. These are possible due to short contact time with the result that the product temperature never exceeds the wet bulb temperature of the gas unless all surface moisture is removed.
In Flash Dryer, agitation or turbulence is accomplished by the use of high gas velocities. The vapour film is continuously swept away from moist particles. As a result, moisture removal is practically instantaneous.
D. Particle Structure
Materials having capillaries will be able to evolve moisture to the surface from internal areas more rapidly resulting in swift drying action. Dense particles which have no voids are difficult to dry in a flash drying system.
E. Particle Size
Drying is accomplished by evaporation from the surface of the particle. Therefore to remove the internal moisture, it is necessary that the moisture reaches the surface by diffusion. This transfer will obviously take place most rapidly with smaller particles.
AND SPECIAL FEATURES
• Ideal for instantaneous removal of surface moisture
• Ideal for drying heat sensitive materials wet bulb temperatures at short residence time
• Ideal for large through-puts, drying cakes, pastes, abrasives and sticky materials
• Ideal for both indoor and outdoor installation & Low capital equipment cost
• Quick plant start-up and adjustment of operating conditions & Minimum moving parts.
• Easy to operate
• High Thermal efficiency & Consistent product quality with uniform moisture content
• High Heat Transfer coefficient & Multifunctional system performing drying, transportation and classifying of material in a simultaneous operation
• Ideal for use in combination with other drying systems particularly fluid bed or rotary dryers
• Sturdy Construction & Simplicity in design
• Adaptability to fluctuating feed rates & moisture contents of products
• Capable to handle very large through-puts
• Can handle very large size of articles/materials
FLASH DRYING SYSTEM WITH RECIRCULATION OF EXHAUST GASES
In a one-pass drying system either using simple venturi system for feeding or with disintegrator, the exhaust losses are in the range of 30 to 40% of the total heat input to the system resulting in reduction in overall efficiency of the system. By using recirculation of gases, exhaust losses can be significantly reduced to the range of 10 to 15% depending upon the product to be dried.
FLASH DRYING SYSTEM WITH VENTURI
The main components in the flash drying system are air heater, feeding system to feed the material into the duct. air separator and exhaust fan Wet material is fed into the venturi of the system to disintegrate and
facilitate drying while conveying at high velocity. Such systems are particularly suitable for free flowing crystalline material having low surface moisture.
FLASH DRYING SYSTEM WITH DISINTEGRATOR
The main components involved for drying are the same as in venturi feeding system. When the wet feed is in the form of cake or paste, before feeding the material either into the venturi or through the straight flash duct, disintegrators are provided to disperse the material to increase the overall surface area and for better agitation for flash drying.
TYPICAL INDUSTRIES & APPLICATION
• Metallic Separates
• Anhydrous Dextrose
• FCC Catalysts
• Tribasic Lead Sulphate
• Di-Calcium Phosphate
• Calcium Carbonates
• Aluminium Hydroxide
• Aluminium Floride
• ABS Resin
• EPS Beads
• Polyster Chips
• Cocoa cake
• Spent Leaf
• Saliecyclic Acid